Instructions for Upgrading SAFARI Montage OS to Version 5.3.x
Please note that these upgrade instructions are ONLY for upgrades to installations of version 5.0.29 or later. If you are currently running a version prior to 5.0.29, you will need to first upgrade your server. A server upgrade to version 5.0.29 will require a hard drive and memory upgrade. Please contact Technical Support at 800-782-7230 if you have any questions or concerns regarding the current status of your SAFARI Montage server.
WARNING: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO APPLY THIS UPGRADE TO A SAFARI MONTAGE SERVER RUNNING SOFTWARE VERSION 4.4.X OR EARLIER. DOING SO WILL RENDER YOUR SERVER INOPERABLE.
Contents — One(1) of the Following:
- SAFARI Montage – 5.3.x Upgrade DVD OR USB Drive
Please read these instructions in their entirety before you begin:
- These instructions and all related documents are available online at http://www.safarimontage.com/support/
- It is important that you review the SAFARI Montage 5.3.x Release Notes available online, as these may include Known Issues that you should understand before running the upgrade.
- Review the SAFARI Montage System Requirements, which include important information that will ensure your environment meets all requirements.
- Allow for time to backup your system in your update planning.
- No one should use the SAFARI Montage System during the update process, so please perform this update during off-hours.
- Review any questions with Technical Support in advance. Please note that SAFARI Montage Technical Support is available Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Eastern Time and they may be contacted by telephone at 800-782-7230 or online via http://www.safarimontage.com/support/.
- We recommend you update all client computers to the current version of the SAFARI Montage Media Player prior to running the OS upgrade. Not doing so will result in all users receiving an alert upon logging in to SAFARI Montage instructing them to upgrade the player. Administrators can suppress this notification in the following location:
ADMIN -> Settings -> System -> Alert to Install SAFARI Montage Media Player. The latest version of the player is available for download at http://www.safarimontage.com/support/.
- If monitoring the update from the console, be aware that the system may appear to be inactive at certain times during the upgrade. This does not mean that the upgrade has stopped.
WARNING: DO NOT interrupt the update in any way or power off the server at any time during the update process or database optimization. Doing so may severely and irreparably damage your Safari Montage system.
If you are running WAN Manager with Expansion Server(s):
- The Expansion Controller must be upgraded first. See Upgrade Instructions below.
- Once the Expansion Controller has been upgraded, it will automatically push the upgrade to all of the Expansion Servers. The progress of the upgrade can be viewed by navigating to Admin -> Expansion Server -> Expansion Servers.
If you are running WAN Manager with Remote School Server(s):
- The WAN Manager Parent server must be upgraded first. See Upgrade Instructions below.
- Once the upgrade is completed on the WAN Manager Parent server, you will be able to automatically ‘push’ the upgrade to the Remote School Servers, thereby eliminating the need to upgrade them separately on-site.
- Navigate to Admin -> WAN Manager -> Remote School Servers
- Either check ‘Remote update all servers’, which will update five servers at a time until they have all been upgraded, or select individual servers to be upgraded by checking the box next to the server name.
Total time to upgrade all expansion and/or remote school servers will depend upon the total number of servers and available bandwidth. The upgrade will be downloaded to each remote server, where the upgrade process will run automatically and take approximately one to two hours. If ‘Remote update all servers’ is selected, servers will be processed in groups of five, and upgrades will run concurrently on each group of remote servers.
- Backup your SAFARI Montage system via the Administration tools:
- Navigate to Admin -> Data Recovery -> Backup
- Perform a full backup setting the backup option ‘Data Only’ to ‘No.’
- Click on the ‘Backup’ button to begin.
- Insert the DVD or USB drive into the server.
- For users with a DVD, at the SAFARI Montage Console, select Eject Removable Media (option 6) to open the DVD drive, and then insert the SAFARI Montage Upgrade DVD.
- For users with a USB dive, insert the drive into an available USB port on the server.
- Select ‘Update SAFARI Software’ (option 5) from the console menu and press ‘Enter’.
- Select how to update the server.
- For users with a DVD, select Update from CD or DVD (option 1) and press Enter to run the software upgrade. The server will reboot during the upgrade.
- For users with a USB dive, select Update from USB Drive (option 2) and press Enter to run the software upgrade. The server will reboot during the upgrade.
- When the upgrade is complete, choose ‘Eject Removable Media’ from the SAFARI Montage Console Screen to remove the DVD or unplug the USB drive from the server’s USB port.
~ THIS COMPLETES THE SERVER UPDATE PROCESS. PLEASE TEST FROM A CLIENT BROWSER. ~
Deploying the SAFARI Montage Media Player:
Go to http://www.safarimontage.com/support to download the latest version of the SAFARI Montage Media Player and for instructions on how to deploy the player to your client environment.